(For December 9, 2010 submission)
BY: JESSA MONICA PEREZ
“Being pregnant at an early age can bring a lot of risks to the young mom and also to the baby. Early or Teenage pregnancy is not just about “Responsibility” but it is also about how will the young mom and the baby can survive to the certain health risks due to this kind of matter. “
A teenager have a healthy body and active lifestyle. At this stage a young girl is enjoying her life by hanging out with friends, attending parties, drinking,smoking, etc.. While she’s not even aware of the big things around her, like PREGNANCY. Most of the time, a teenage girl got pregnant because of “Pear Pressure” and by not having knowledge about “Sex and Birth Controls” and we can’t be sure that this girl can have an idea on how to take care of herself while having the baby inside her womb.
Sometimes the baby’s health is most affected in this situation.Based on my research health risks of the baby are the ff:
- 9% of teen girls have low-birth-weight babies (under 5.5 pounds)
- Low birth-weight babies may have organs that are not fully developed. This can lead to lung problems such as respiratory distress syndrome, or bleeding in the brain
- low birth-weight babies are 40x more likely to die in their first month of life than normal weight babies
- Low birth-weight babies may have, immature organ systems (brain, lungs, and heart), difficulty controlling body temperature and blood sugar levels, and mental retardation. Low birth-weight babies have a higher risk of dying in early infancy than among normal weight babies
- Low birth-weight babies are exposed to mental retardation, brain damage, and injury at birth
But this early pregnancy don’t just affect the baby, but also the young mom. And a young-girl must also be aware of these and these are as follows,
- Pelvic or abdominal pain that can be indicative of an ectopic pregnancy or kidney or bladder infection.
- Bleeding during pregnancy can be a sign of an impending miscarriage.
- Absence of fetal movements is a dangerous sign as it usually signifies fetal distress or demise.
- Blurry vision and swelling on hands and face can indicate a high risk of preeclampsia (high blood pressure and protein in urine) in pregnancy.
- Pregnancy headache
- Pregnancy yeast infection
The earlier health risks discussed were published in the following links I gave. But I also want to share the health risks that my baby have been through because of having him at my early age. I got pregnant at the age of 18, at this point I am so afraid to let my parents know about this, so I just keep it and let it grow for five months without having any check up and vitamins to take in. I still perform and didn’t think about of what will happen to my baby. So then, when my baby reached five months in my womb and my parents knew about this, I go to the OBGYN’s clinic to check what my baby’s up to. That time I am thinking that I can fulfill those months I didn’t take care of him. Then, I take all the vitamins that the doctor gave me, I follow his instructions etc.. After having my baby inside for 9 months, I still gave birth to a healthy baby boy,so I thought I was fortunate enough because despite of being an irresponsible pregnant-girl for five months I still have a healthy baby boy in front of me. But I was wrong, as he grew up he encountered a lot of diseases and the hardest thing is he is asthmatic. And that made me realize that I was so wrong by continuing my work at night as a singer in events and bars while pregnant. Now, I was hoping that he will recover from this as soon as possible..